Wednesday, September 14, 2011

I won't grow up!




And Tuesday night, I felt just like a kid again! For my 18th anniversary, my husband bought our family 2 season tickets to the Broadway season at our local theater. The four of us plan to take turns using the tickets since none of us are jazzed about all five musicals, and last night was opening night of the first one - "Peter Pan". I have wanted to see "Peter Pan" forever! About 12 years ago, I barely missed seeing it when it travelled through Tulsa. We had absolutely no money for the theater. This was especially disappointing because a high school friend had the role of "Slightly Soiled", and I missed his performance. In an effort to assuage my sadness, we eventually purchased the VHS that A&E had produced. My family watched that video so much that we nearly wore it out! My daughter was particularly fond of the musical. She used to watch and rewind during the song "Ugg-a-Wugg", trying to learn the choreography.




So, A and I went to the theater. We left in plenty of time to find parking and get in our seats. Unfortunately, we were halfway there when I discovered I had left the tickets at home! By the time I turned around, drove home, and drove back, we were about 10 minutes late. We missed the Overture and part of the first scene. We made it just as Mr. Darling was putting Nana out in the yard. I would have again been the "Worst Mom Ever" had we missed Cathy Rigby's entrance!




Speaking of Cathy Rigby . . . from our seats in the nosebleed section, we couldn't tell that she is nearly 60 years old! She was bouncing, tumbling, and flying all over the stage as she has done off and on for 21 years!




From the moment the music began, I was grinning like an idiot. And when Peter Pan flew onto the stage, I was literally on the edge of my seat! There's something about the theater that makes me feel like a child again, giddy with excitement. There's something almost magical about it. I was on a high all day yesterday, with "I'll Never Grow Up" running through my head nonstop!




It's David's turn next. He's taking me to see "Memphis". I have never heard of it, but I'm sure we will have a fabulous time!

No comments:

Post a Comment