Monday, May 28, 2012

Movie maniacs

My family loves watching movies. Just like other families, we enjoy going to the theater, eating popcorn and candy, donning the 3D glasses, and settling in as the lights go down. We even enjoy the films the critics hate. We're easily entertained.

But I've discovered that more than the 3D, CG, fast-paced current movies in the theater, I like introducing my kids to the films I saw as a child. These movies were larger-than-life to a child 30 years ago. Now, the computer graphics are cheesy, the fashions are outdated, and the hairstyles are atrocious. But my kids love them anyway.

Tonight, we watched one of my all-time faves: Spacecamp. My son was on the edge of his seat when NASA closed the cargo bay doors and left Andi outside the shuttle. He yelled, "Nooooo!"

In recent years, SuperD and I have introduced the girl and boy to The Goonies, Back to the Future, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (as only Gene Wilder can play him), Raiders of the Lost Ark, and The Great
Muppet Caper, to name a few.

Right now, the kids are in the living room watching Independence Day. We plan to see E.T. this week, and I am on a search for Flight of the Navigator. I think we should probably add The Parent Trap, The Karate Kid, and Gremlins to the list.

Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment