Friday, June 29, 2012

My New Collection

I voted this week. But not before I was deluged with political junk mail. It truly seemed worse this year than in previous years. After tossing many of them in the trash, I decided to begin a collection. I started my collection one week before the primary. I received a few each day in the mail, while others were left at my door. I personally spoke to people representing one of the candidates on three separate occasions, each time explaining that I went to school with him, he played piano at my dad's funeral, and he already had my vote and that of my husband. After the third encounter, I went to his website and requested a yard sign. I think that may have warded off any other political visitors.


As the day of the election arrived, I laid out my collection. Twenty-one in just a single week! Pretty impressive, huh? Do you know I read not a single one of them? Do they really think a print ad is going to sway my vote? I know that the groups which printed each and every one of them worded things in such a way that made their candidate look like a saint and made the others look like dirty dogs. It's like asking a Honda salesman to honestly compare an Accord to the other companies' comparable sedans. I know how it works. He wants you to drive away in a Honda. If you want an honest opinion, you have to go to an unbiased source. The Accord may very well be the best sedan, but until you do your research, you just won't know.





By the way, collecting political junk mail wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. I threw them all out after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment