Wednesday, August 1, 2012

THE Most Popular Name

The year I was born, the most popular girls' name was Jennifer. My mom swears that she and Dad had my name picked out long before 1971. But there are now throngs of us out here in our 40's. There were dozens of us in my graduating class. I was one of 4 Jennifers on my girls softball team. We made up one-fourth to one-third of the team! My name was so popular that I could rarely find a personalized license plate for my bike or notepad with my name on it because the store was almost always sold out of Jennifer. It's disappointing to a child who finds an empty hook by their name. At least everyone knows how to spell it.



As my name has waned in popularity, I have finally come to the point where I am not tripping over other Jennifers everywhere I go. I can finally smile when one introduces herself, and say, "That's my name, too!" I work in a school with not a single other Jennifer. No more Jennifer D, Jennifer M, and Jennifer P. I am unique.
Well, until this year. As always there is some turnover in an elementary school. I know of at least 8 new teachers to our school. I found out today that 5 of them have some form of my name: 3 Jennifers, 1 Jenny, and a Jenna. It seems I can't escape them. It is my lot in life. I'm surrounded by Jennifers.

No comments:

Post a Comment