Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Family Fourth

The Fourth of July has always been an important holiday for my family. As I pointed out last year, we always attend our local parade, and in the evening, we watch one of the best fireworks displays in the nation. The whole town turns out with lawn chairs and picnic blankets. In fact, the spectators used to view the fireworks from the college stadium. These days, people spread out all over the campus and stake their claim wherever they find room. I look forward to this holiday every year. Even when SuperD and I lived 90 miles away, we always came back to town for the 4th. I don't remember ever missing it.

Until this year.

We did attend the parade since Pinky was once again in the marching band. Proud Band Mom stood and cheered and then ran down the sidewalk to capture even better photos as the band continued on down the street. But this year, my aunt and uncle invited us to visit them and shoot off our own fireworks. This would be a brand new experience for me. See, I have always lived in the city, where ordinances prohibited fireworks, except for the big town display. Other than sparklers, smoke bombs, and Black Cats, I've never set off fireworks. While I thought it would be a fun experience for Pinky and the Brain, I dreaded missing my family ritual. I would be breaking a 40-year tradition. Little did I know how very awesome my new experience would be.

As I sat in my aunt and uncle's driveway this evening, watching my husband and children lighting our fireworks, I began to hear and see at least 7 other groups setting off their own displays nearby. Literally, there were lights bursting all around me! I was surrounded by a chorus of whizzing and popping! Before one would end to my right, another would burst to my left, and then one behind us would light up the sky! It was magnificent!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is wonderful! I remember that beautiful display-- we'd usually sit on the grass, but one year we stayed in the parking lot, in the back of our neighbor's pickup truck. I'm so glad that's still a tradition-- I sure miss that!

    My husband introduced me to fireworks stands not long after we moved out to the suburbs of Houston (there is a display out here, but it's VERY crowded!). Those stands sell some surprisingly big explosives! (After loading one in the tube sideways a few years back, I'm now discouraged from lighting them off. I'm still allowed to watch, and the house is fine, so it's all good!)

    So very glad you all got to set off your own! What a fun 4th! Sounds like a truly immersive experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete