Monday, January 23, 2017

A Week in the Life of an Elementary School Teacher, Day 1

5:00 a.m. My Day Begins

I know it's early, but I have lots to do before the bell rings today. I start my day with the Bible, prayer, and a headache. 


Then I make my Monday SMARTBoard Phonics lesson. We have a new Reading curriculum this year. It is very extensive, with daily lessons in Reading, Phonics, and Writing. These English Language Arts comprise at least 2 1/2 hours of each school day. In order to keep myself on track and get my nose out of the curriculum, I create a file to use on my SMARTBoard every day. I also share it with the four other teachers on my team. A group of teachers and I did this for our Math curriculum a few years ago, and it has proved to be one of the most valuable resources I have.


As I prepare my SMARTBoard lesson, I realize I have forgotten to put our second grade spelling list online. It's my duty to type in the spelling words online for our team. Our skill this week is words with a consonant + le. (Puddle. Bottle. Table. Bridle? I don't think I've ever used this word in my 45-year-old life! Will anyone but the horse lover in my class know that this is a harness for a horse?)


This should only take 5 minutes, but my laptop video card is dying and my screen keeps blinking in and out. My keyboard is hot to the touch because my computer is overheating. Its days are numbered, and I can't afford to replace it.


6:15 a.m. 

My SmartBoard lesson is taking longer than anticipated. A review at the beginning of the lesson will cost me an extra five pages that I don't normally have to do. I stop before the file is complete and go to take my shower. I really need to wash my hair, but I don't have any time. I sure hope it doesn't smell, but it looks great! I take a quick shower and dress in about 15 minutes.


Back with the SmartBoard lesson, I'm really wishing I had taken the time, the extra hour last night until midnight, to finish this before I went to bed. The choice had been between being prepared for today or getting the sleep I needed. Sleep won. Maybe it shouldn't have. 


6:30 a.m.

I gather my materials and my lunch. I'm very fortunate that my husband likes to cook, and I have leftover pasta. Unfortunately, I don't have time for breakfast. Maybe I'll grab some Frosted Flakes at the school.


6:45 a.m.

I'm out the door before the sun is up. Normally, I wouldn't leave for another 30 minutes because I have to take my son to school, but he has an orthodontist appointment today and will be going to it with his dad. This gives me extra time in my classroom to prepare.


I must first scrape the frost off my windows. (I don't have time for this! Isn't it supposed to be 61° today?) I drive more slowly than usual, watching for deer crossing the road. This is the time of day they tend to be out.


As I drive, I pray for my students and for patience.


7:10 a.m.

I'm one of only a handful of adults in my building: custodian and BeforeCare workers. (Even the principal isn't here this early.)  Several children have arrived before me, dropped off before their parents have gone to work. Several of them are from my class.


I begin the frantic task of doing everything I should've done yesterday on my day off: changing my Weekly Jobs poster, changing my Morning Greeting file on my computer, changing my Morning Meeting bulletin board, opening all of the computer files I will need for the day, reviewing my lesson plans for the morning, changing out my Literacy Centers, and making copies. I need to laminate but don't have time. In fact, I don't even have time for those Frosted Flakes.


8:30 a.m.

I have a meeting with the principal and school psychologist about a student. It goes a little long, and I'm not at my door to greet my students when they arrive. Our morning consists of Morning Work, Announcements, a Read-Aloud, a Reading lesson, a Phonics lesson, and Literacy Centers. I'm on my feet except for while reading a book or working with a small group.


11:37 a.m. 

We're already 7 minutes late to recess because my class owes me some time from not listening during instruction. By the time I return to my second grade workroom, I have about 30 minutes left for lunch. It's nice to eat with my friends/colleagues.


12:20 p.m.

I pick up my class from the cafeteria, ready to finish Literacy Centers, teach a Writing lesson, and a Math lesson. Although I know we probably won't have time for a Science lesson, I'm caught off-guard when activities in my classroom don't go exactly as planned. I have to practice a little flexibility with my lesson plans. 


2:30 p.m.

I'm on my way to a second grade team meeting known as Professional Learning Committee (PLC) while my class goes to the Media Center and P.E. On these days I don't get a planning period.


3:30 p.m.

I pick my students up from P.E. And take them to their dismissal lines. Then I head to my after school duty position. Teachers have to work every other semester either before or after school for arrival or dismissal. I work every semester so that I can keep my spot in the car line. This guarantees me I won't have to work the dreaded bus duty.


4:00 p.m.

I normally tutor every day after school, but my student is sick today. Tutoring is a great supplement to my income. I get paid by the hour, and I get to work one-on-one with students.


I use my spare time to call a parent, write an email, conference with my principal, and clean up in my room.


5:45 p.m.

I finally can leave for home, although I have much more to do: papers to grade, grades to record, data to enter on my computer, and materials to prep for tomorrow. Some I will do at home tonight, and some will have to wait until tomorrow before school.


6:00 p.m.

I arrive home after nearly 11 hours at school, a longer day than usual, and crash in the couch next to my husband. I debrief, eat dinner, and watch a movie with my family on my daughter's last night at home before her spring semester begins.


At 10:00, I'll begin creating my Phonics file for tomorrow. I'll be lucky to make it to sleep by midnight.


What a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment