Friday, May 6, 2011

Chocolate, sweet chocolate

The fast is over. I made it 40 days without chocolate. Super D is convinced I must have cheated and snuck a treat, but I remained steadfast and spent a lot of time in prayer. Because of the death of our pastor, our church was asked to spend 40 days of prayer and fasting in preparation of a search for another pastor. If I stop to pray every time I think about chocolate, I should spend much of my day in prayer. That was the theory.

I am surprised at how little I missed chocolate. I had thought that it would consume my every waking thought, but I was only reminded of it in certain situations. For example, the day before I began, C bought me a bag of Hershey chocolate eggs for Easter. I had to hide them. Thankfully, I don't remember where I put them. And soon after that, I attended a book club meeting. The hostess's husband had made ooey-gooey brownies for us to eat as a snack. I politely and easily turned them down, but when he set the plate on the table in front of me, they called to me throughout the meeting. Chocolate snacks in the teacher's workroom at school weren't helpful either.

Of course, every time I passed a SONIC Drive-in, McDonald's, Braum's, Wendy's or Chick-Fil-A I pined for a chocolate ice cream treat. Apparently, I eat too much ice cream.

The thing I discovered is that although I consider myself a Chocolate Lover, I really just have a sweet tooth. It was WAY too easy to substitute other sweet treats for chocolate ones.

While I don't think I will ever give up chocolate completely, I probably will eat less of it from now on. Well . . . maybe after I go get a SONIC Blast with Butterfinger!

Photo by Idea Go

No comments:

Post a Comment