Saturday, July 30, 2011

Gardening - not so fun any more

Gardening isn't nearly so fun when all my plants are dying. With over 50 consecutive days in which the high has been over 90 degrees, my beautiful garden is looking pretty pathetic. Maybe that's because about 30 of those days have seen triple-digit highs.

I stepped outside to do some maintenance in the heat this morning. I snipped dead roses, pulled weeds, and extracted grass which had crept its way behind the stone barrier. As I moved a stone to get a better grasp on some of the stray grass, I spied a spider web and a giant egg sack. I tried not to be creeped out by it, but the moment I saw the mama spider move, a shiver ran down my spine. I ran inside and yelled out to Super D, "What kind of black spider has red spots on its back?"

Yes, I don't know one arachnid from another. How many species of spiders can you name? I don't even know if I could correctly identify a daddy long legs spider, considering that there are three different types of spiders which are generally given that name.

But after confirmation from Super D and Google images, I am convinced that I have a black widow spawning babies in my garden. Super D, for whom spiders are his kryptonite, tried to kill it with a garden spade, but I think he only succeeded in pushing it into the dirt.

Do you really think I am ever going to do anything in that part of my garden, EVER, again? I think not!

No comments:

Post a Comment