Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Where have all our manners gone?

I'm a teacher. I see examples of this almost every day - bad manners. I have come to expect it from 2nd graders. After all, they have a lot to learn. I hope that those young lives who leave my classroom at the end of the year have learned a little about good manners. You know, thinking about others more than you think about yourself.

But it never fails to shock me when I see bad manners in adults. Odd, because bad manners are more the norm these days. I guess I just still expect the best of people and am disappointed when I see otherwise. Sometimes it even angers me.

For example, just this week I attended a workshop. I entered the classroom, put my purse on the floor next to my chair, and placed my folder and pen on the table at my place. I left the classroom for a few minues, and when I returned, I discovered that someone was sitting in my chair. Because I expect good manners, I assumed that the woman, once realizing her mistake, would move to another spot. Instead, I found that the woman already knew that someone was sitting there, and she chose to ignore her error. She mumbled something about not knowing that I was sitting there (which was a lie because my purse was now sitting on the table), and she continued on with whatever she was doing. Clearly, she expected me to find a different chair.

Now, my mom taught me that when I make a mistake, I fix it. In her place, I certainly would have apologized for my error and immediately moved to another chair. But not this rude woman. She obviously values herself above all others and doesn't give a thought to those around her. Our society is raising a generation of selfish people. You have encountered them. You know, the woman who cut in front of you in line. The man who didn't yield at the onramp of the highway. The neighbor who has late-night parties in his backyard during the week. People who double-park. I guess I shouldn't be surprised at bad manners anymore.

Would it surprise you to know that the woman in my story is a teacher? Yes, she could be in charge of your child for over 6 hours each weekday.

No comments:

Post a Comment