Friday, July 15, 2011

Why mess with a good thing? (HP SPOILER ALERT!!)



I'm not normally one of those people who is upset when their favorite book is butchered in order to make a movie. I am realistic. I know that a director cannot put every character, every scene, and every line of dialogue into a movie. There simply isn't enough time. (Although, Peter Jackson gave it a good go with Lord of the Rings.) Frequently, I am mildly disappointed that one of my favorite parts in the book didn't make the cut, but I don't let that ruin my enjoyment of the movie. The fact is: I love movies, and I love books. I usually try not to compare them.

That being said, I was a little disappointed with the final Harry Potter film. The final duel between Harry Potter and Lord Voldemort has been changed. I am okay with the change in the location of the duel. I also don't mind that the duel occurs not in front others but between just the two of them. What I like about Rowling's scene is that it is not a long, drawn-out duel. In fact, she wrote over 6 pages of dialogue between Harry and Lord Voldemort. Harry once again proves his character when he attempts to show compassion toward his enemy and tries to talk Tom Riddle into showing remorse. Even in the end, Harry does not try to kill Voldemort; he simply disarms him. The epic duel consists of Voldemort casting one curse and Harry casting one harmless spell. It is Voldemort who kills himself when his killing curse rebounds. Harry is depicted as a true hero. Not one who defeated his enemy in battle, but one whose good character triumphed over evil.

I think Harry's compassion was lost in the movie. We have seen him display his compassion toward his enemies many times throughout the series. He saved Dudley from the dementors. He rescued Draco from death by Fiendfyre. And although Harry has acted out of anger, he shows remorse for his actions. I would like to think that he has grown and matured during the series. I don't want to think of him as someone whose anger has festered to the point that he abandons his character and desires to kill. In the movie, we see him aiming his wand at Lord Voldemort over and over as he appears to both defend himself and attempts to kill his enemy.

It simply didn't feel the same to me. So, while I loved the movie, I was left a little sad because I felt that the character I had loved so much and the qualities I had loved so much just weren't quite there.

No comments:

Post a Comment