Sunday, January 18, 2009

Hormones or just a bad attitude?

Does puberty begin at 11 now? I can't quite figure out if my almost-11YO, A, has new hormones coursing through her body or has picked up her lousy attitude from her environment. Could it be public school or television shows?

Either way, she is morphing into something I don't like. Decisions she doesn't like are met with eyes rolling or a "But...!" She gets angry about things which are beyond her control and crosses her arms in a huff.

Sound normal? Not for my little angel. No, really. She has always been good-natured, kind, helpful, happy, and mild-mannered. She rarely suffers consequences because she rarely chooses wrong. The only exception being how she acts and speaks to her brother, so she does get into trouble for that. But then, he annoys the crap out of her.

2 comments:

  1. Although I don't have children, I AM the auntie to 12 and I'd say it's most likely a mixture of the two....she'll outgrow some of it and will "even out" where the hormones are concerned, but the attitude is the kicker! It's likely to try and stick around for a few years :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to tell you, Jenn, what you're describing sounds spot on for her age! My two started the morphing process sometime after they turned 10 and they both started their periods when they were 11. Never underestimate the power of hormones to turn an otherwise pleasant child into something you don't recognize.
    Stephanie R.

    ReplyDelete