Monday, June 20, 2011

Hogwarts: A History

"Don't judge a book by its cover." I would like to think I follow that rule, but I'm not perfect. I often tend to make hasty judgments, only to force myself to back away and take a fresh look at things.

This is what happened when the first Harry Potter book hit the shelves in 1997. I was too easily swayed by people who criticized the book for being about witches and wizards. As a conservative Christian, I am wary of anything which openly contradicts my religion. I am ashamed to admit that I formed an opinion of HP without even reading a page. It was my aunt who convinced me that I should read the book and form my own opinion. So I did. And I was hooked.

By that time, the second book was out, and I was a mom. What I discovered was a fun children's story that I couldn't put down. I no longer carried my original concerns. After all, how many times had I seen "The Wizard of Oz" as a child? And wasn't "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" one of my favorite childhood books? My faith was strong even though I had read and seen many stories with such fantasy characters in them. I knew that my children would love these characters, and so long as I taught them the difference between fantasy and reality, they would be fine.

My daughter was just 4 years old when the first film was released. She couldn't yet appreciate the movie, but as soon as she was old enough to enjoy it, Super D and I let her watch it, as well as the other movies which had been released. With the premier of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire", I made the decision to take her to the midnight showing on opening night. She was 7 years old and one of the youngest moviegoers in the theater that night.
Since then, we have attended the midnight premier of each movie, even
when we had school the next day. She raves about it to her friends. I'm pretty sure they're jealous. It has become a special time between mother and daughter. (We took Super D and C once, but they were party-poopers. They didn't like waiting 5 hours in line or staying up until 3 in the morning.) We have made memories that will stay with us the rest of our lives.

That being said, I am seriously excited about the final movie! I can't even explain the giddiness I feel when I watch the trailers! In fact, I found my eyes tearing up a bit as I watched it. It's extremely childish of me. I know. I just can't help it!

We purchased our tickets the day they were available online. This time, A and I will be there to watch Part 1 at 9:00 and Part 2 at midnight. We will be at the theater for nearly 12 hours! And i can't wait!





Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 from Warner Bros Pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment