Friday, June 17, 2011

Should VBS make you think of cookies?

Probably not. Vacation Bible School should probably make you think about Jesus. But in my house, VBS means Monster Cookies. It's tradition.


My mom has been making Monster Cookies for almost 40 years now. People still ask her each year if she's going to make them. She got the recipe from a member of her Extension Homemakers group. The recipe makes 12 dozen cookies. (That's 144 cookies for those of you who hate math!) And I'm not talking normal cookies - these are scooped with an ice cream scoop. They're HUGE! They are the best of all other cookies, rolled into one. They contain oats, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and M&M's. The batch is so large that Mom made it in a turkey roasting pan, and my dad had to help stir. Weak arms wouldn't hold out through that 18th cup of oats.


Anyway, they are way more cookie than any small child needs, so mom made them every year for the VBS volunteers. (I don't even want to know how many calories are in each one; although, I probably should calculate the carbs for my diabetic boys.) While everyone else was busy donating dozens of Oreos, strawberry wafer cookies, and plain-ol' homemade chocolate chip cookies for the kids, my mom was making the granddaddy of all cookies for the workers. Word spread quickly as the Monster Cookies entered the workroom. Volunteers gathered like moths to a flame. Lucky for me, Mom always reserved some cookies at home for us.



Well, Vacation Bible School was this week, my belly is full, and there a dozen and a half cookie dough balls in my freezer for later. Thanks, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment